
Hoi An's Hidden Gem: Areca Homestay - Your Dream Vacation Awaits!
Hoi An's Hidden Gem: Areca Homestay - My Dream Vacation Awaits… and Holy Moly, It Did! (A Slightly Unhinged Review)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I’m about to spill the tea (and maybe a little bit of the Vietnamese coffee) on Areca Homestay in Hoi An. Forget those sterile, corporate hotel reviews – this is the real deal, warts and all, from someone who just got back and is still dreaming of those delicious spring rolls.
Accessibility (and My Slightly Clumsy Self): Um, alright, so let's start with the nitty-gritty. I’m not wheelchair-bound, thank goodness, but I’m a klutz. Like, I trip over air sometimes. Areca claims to have "Facilities for disabled guests". Honestly, I didn't scrutinize that deeply, too busy stuffing my face with pho. BUT, I did notice an elevator, which is GOLD for anyone who’s not a fan of stairs. (Pro tip: bring comfy shoes, you WILL be exploring Hoi An on foot). Okay, moving on…
Internet Access & Wi-Fi, Oh My God, the Wi-Fi! (And the Internet, Too): Listen, in the modern age, a strong Wi-Fi signal is basically a human right. And Areca DELIVERED. Free Wi-Fi in ALL rooms. Like, seriously, no buffering while I was video-calling my cat back home. AND I could actually get some work done (shhh, don't tell my boss). They also had internet access – LAN, if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not, but it's there! Which means… I had internet access. Breathe.
Cleanliness & Safety (Especially Necessary Nowadays): This is where Areca really shines. The place was spotless. Seriously. I’m talking gleaming surfaces, fresh linens, and not a speck of dust to be found. They REALLY got the memo about safety. They use "Anti-viral cleaning products", and "Professional-grade sanitizing services", plus "Daily disinfection" throughout the common areas. I'm a bit of a germophobe, and I never felt uneasy, which is a HUGE win. They even offer the option to "Room sanitization opt-out" if you're into that kind of thing (I was not). Oh, and lots of "Hand sanitizer" everywhere. They even had "Staff trained in safety protocol". Plus, "Daily housekeeping," which meant my messy room felt… well, less messy! (Though, full disclosure, I did see a rogue sock under the bed once. Imperfections are allowed, right? It made it feel more real).
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (My Personal Playground): Sigh. Okay, this is where things get hazy, mostly because I was in a constant state of food coma. Let's break this down, because you NEED to know.
Breakfast is the BEST: This is a must-have. They have a breakfast buffet (YES!), with a mix of Western and Asian options. It was the perfect way to start the day and fuel my Hoi An explorations. Let's just say I sampled EVERYTHING, including the "Asian breakfast," with more delightful items than I can even remember. They also had "Coffee/tea in restaurant" and "Coffee shop". My personal favourite was the cafe sua da.
Restaurants, Restaurants, Restaurants!: Areca has several restaurants, and they offer a range of cuisines. I ate at the restaurant with Asian cuisine, and the meals were divine. They also had "International cuisine" restaurants. I was so full, I didn’t try this on my visit, though. They offered a "Vegetarian restaurant", and with the quality of everything else, I am sure they wouldn't disappoint.
Happy Hour! Need I say more? OK, I will. It exists. It's glorious.
Poolside Bar: Yes, there is a pool. And yes, there is a bar. And yes, there's a "Bottle of water" if you're feeling responsible. "Snack bar", and "Salad in restaurant" were there too.
Room Service (24-hour): This is a LIFE SAVER. Especially after a long day of sightseeing when all you want to do is collapse on your bed and eat spring rolls. Trust me, get the spring rolls.
A la carte in restaurant. I'm a little embarrassed, I don't think I even LOOKED at the menu! I was too keen to dive in. Maybe next time!
Things to Do, Ways to Relax (Seriously, My Stress Melted Away): Okay, the relaxation part is where Areca really upped the ante.
- The Pool with a View: Let us talk about that pool. It's gorgeous. Picture this: crystal-clear water, sunshine, and a panoramic view. I spent hours lounging by the pool, reading, and just generally feeling… blissful. It was pure heaven.
- The Spa/Sauna/Steamroom Combo: They’ve got a legit spa situation with all sorts of treatments. I opted for a massage, and it was absolutely divine. They offer "Body scrub", and "Body wrap" as well. I'm now tempted to try the "Sauna, Spa, Steamroom" when I return!
- The Fitness Center: Okay, I didn't actually use the gym. Okay, I looked at it. Let’s just say I opted for more "calories burned" by wandering Hoi An.
- Foot bath: I missed this one. But still, good on them for offering it!
Services and Conveniences (They Thought of Everything): Areca really excels in the "little things."
- Airport Transfer: Bliss. Seriously, after a long flight, having someone meet you and whisk you away is like winning the lottery.
- Concierge: Super helpful for booking tours, suggesting restaurants, and generally making my life easier.
- Luggage Storage: Because let's be honest, you're going to buy souvenirs.
- Laundry Service: Bless their hearts. I came home with clean clothes. It's amazing.
- Convenience Store: For those midnight snack cravings.
- Front desk [24-hour], Doorman, and Security [24-hour]: All present and accounted for, which made me feel safe and taken care of.
For the Kids (I Didn’t Travel with Any, But It Looked Great!): I didn’t have kids with me, but I noticed some "Family/child friendly" features. They also have "Babysitting service," so if you needed a break, there’s a solution.
- Kids meal. I am sure kids will adore it!
Available in All Rooms (The Essentials):
- Air conditioning: Essential for surviving the Hoi An humidity.
- Free Wi-Fi: Still a big deal!
- Mini bar: For late-night snacks and drinks.
- Coffee/tea maker: Because, coffee.
- Private bathroom: Okay, I never thought I could be so happy to have my own bathroom, but there you go.
- Bathrobes, Slippers, Toiletries: Small touches that make a big difference.
- Daily housekeeping: Still a life saver.
Getting Around (Hoi An is a Dream to Explore):
- Car park [free of charge], Bicycle parking, Taxi service: All available. Hoi An is great to wander on a bicycle, or on foot.
- Car park [on-site], Valet parking, Airport transfer: All available!
Overall Vibe & My Emotional Verdict (Prepare for Rambling):
Okay, deep breaths… Areca Homestay is not just a hotel; it's an experience. It’s the kind of place where you can truly relax, recharge, and explore everything Hoi An has to offer. It's not perfect (again, that rogue sock!), but the staff are genuinely lovely, the food is incredible, and the atmosphere is just… right. It feels like a little oasis of calm, tucked away from the bustling streets. And the pool! Oh, the pool.
I'm already planning my return trip. Seriously, start packing now. You won’t regret it.
My Crazy-Person Offer (Book Now!):
Areca Homestay - Your Dream Vacation Awaits!
Stop just dreaming about a perfect getaway! Book your stay at Areca Homestay now and get:
- 10% off your entire stay when you book directly through their website using code "HOIANLOVE". They're not like other hotels, they remember guests' names. They are a tight-knit family and you'll feel like you're one of them as soon as you arrive.
- Complimentary welcome drink and a fruit basket in your room. That's right, more deliciousness!
- Free early check-in (subject to availability) – So you can start relaxing sooner!
- A free cooking class to learn how to make some of those amazing dishes! (Ask about this when you book!)
- **And, because I

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your perfectly-curated, Instagram-filtered travel plan. This is the Areca Homestay in Hoi An, Vietnam, unleashed – warts, wifi woes, and all. Prepare for a glorious mess.
ARECA HOMESTAY – HOI AN: A Week of Meandering
Day 1: Jetlagged and Bamboozled (and Smelling Pho Dreams)
- Morning (or what felt like it): Landed in Da Nang. Jetlag ate my brain. Customs was a blur of sweaty faces and questionable air conditioning. Found a taxi driver who looked surprisingly trustworthy (famous last words, right?). The drive to Hoi An? Breathtaking. Rice paddies shimmering, motorbikes buzzing like angry bees, a symphony of chaos I instantly loved.
- Afternoon: Arrived at Areca Homestay. Oh. My. God. So much greenery! Overwhelmed by the charm. The owner, a woman with eyes that crinkled when she smiled (which was often), called me "Beautiful." I promptly burst into tears. The emotional rollercoaster of travel, people!
- Late Afternoon/Evening: Tried to unpack. Failed. Fell asleep in the hammock, probably drooling. Woke up STARVING. Wandered into Hoi An's Old Town. HOLY MOLY. Lanterns EVERYWHERE. Fell in love. Immediately. Found street-side Pho. The broth? Heaven. Burned my tongue, but didn't care. This is the life.
- Quirky Observation: The chickens here have serious swagger. Like they own the place. I’m pretty sure one gave me the side-eye. Don't mess with Vietnamese chickens.
- Messy Moment: Somehow managed to lose my phone charger. Ugh. International travel, am I right?
Day 2: Tailor Troubles and Silk Dreams
- Morning: Determined to get clothes made. This is the Hoi An experience, right? Wandered into a tailor's shop, got bamboozled by fabric swatches and promises of "perfect fit." They measured everything. I now feel like a sausage. The whole experience felt vaguely like being in a high-stakes game of fashion-based poker.
- Afternoon: Watched the Thu Bon River flow by, from a tiny coffee shop. The Vietnamese coffee almost gave me heart palpitations. Delicious, though.
- Late Afternoon: Trying to channel a zen master, while I get another fitting. The tailored suit is… well… let's just say I'm not sure it's me. The fabric is gorgeous though. Contemplating bribery with bánh mì.
- Evening: Dinner at a local restaurant. Fish in a clay pot (so good I want to lick the pot!). Stumbled back to Areca Homestay, feeling gloriously full and happy (and a little tipsy on the local beer).
- Emotional Reaction: I’m so happy. I am so ridiculously happy. Like, I might skip down the street at any given moment. (Don't judge).
- Rambling Thought: Why are markets so amazing? The colors? The sounds? The smells? The sheer energy of it all. It's sensory overload in the best way possible. I could spend all day people-watching.
Day 3: Beach Bum Bliss and Bicycle Shenanigans
- Morning: Rented a bicycle (rusty but charming) and cycled to An Bang Beach. The ride was more of a "dodging-motorbikes-of-death" adventure, but I survived!
- Afternoon: Beach bliss. The sand was soft, the water was warm. Read a book, swam, and generally did nothing productive. Pure, unadulterated relaxation.
- Emotional Reaction: This beach makes me want to cry. Tears of joy, of course. Sun, sand, sea…everything is right with the world.
- Messy Moment: Got a terrible sunburn on my nose. Apparently, I'm a ginger at heart.
- Evening: Seafood dinner on the beach (so fresh!). Watched the sunset. It was, predictably, spectacular. Fell asleep under the stars.
- Opinionated Language: Forget Bali, forget the Maldives. THIS is paradise.
Day 4: Cooking Class Catastrophe (and Triumph)
- Morning: COOKING CLASS DAY! I, the culinary disaster, signed up to conquer Vietnamese cuisine. It started well. We made spring rolls (mine looked like… deformed slugs).
- Afternoon: Disaster struck. I put too much chili in my soup. It was a fiery inferno of spicy regret. We learned how to make Cao Lau, a local noodles dish. (Mine was delicious, despite the chili incident.)
- Late Afternoon: Went back to my room and had a little nap. It was a long day.
- Evening: Tried what I made. Surprisingly good, despite the fear. Washed it down with a cold beer. Went to the night market and saw all the beautiful lanterns. Thought about the cooking class. Definitely doing it again.
- Doubling Down on Experience: That cooking class… it was a metaphor for life. A little bit of chaos, a lot of laughter, a whole bunch of delicious food, and a few moments of pure panic.
- Quirky Observation: Vietnamese people are incredibly patient. Especially with clumsy, chili-loving tourists like me.
Day 5: The Lantern Maker and the Art of Doing Nothing
- Morning: Visited a lantern maker. Watched him meticulously craft these beautiful, paper lanterns. The skill! The patience! The beauty! I'm convinced I could never do this. I bought two.
- Afternoon: Just… doing nothing. No plans. No obligations. Reading, napping, drinking juice. Bliss.
- Late Afternoon: Stumbled upon a tiny art gallery. The art was gorgeous. Bought a small painting. Now I'm a proper cultured person, right?
- Evening: Farewell dinner at my favorite restaurant. Ate ALL the noodles. Probably overdid it. Strolled through the Old Town, and got lost in the magic.
- Emotional Reaction: I don’t want to leave. Ever.
- Messy Moment: I think I left my phone charging cable in the restaurant. Again.
Day 6: Hoi An's Goodbye and a Trip on the Water
- Morning: Quick breakfast, one last wander round the market, checking my money, and a quick drink of coffee.
- Afternoon: Went on a boat trip on the Thu Bon River. The scenery was beautiful. Visited a potter's village. Bought way too many ceramic things.
- Evening: A farewell dinner and drinks.
- Rambling Thought: I'm going to miss this place. The food, the people, the beautiful chaos. Hoi An, you’ve captured my heart.
Day 7: Back to Reality (and a Craving for Pho)
- Morning: Said goodbye to Areca Homestay. It was like leaving a friend. The owner hugged me. I teared up again. (I'm a mess, I told you.)
- Afternoon: Flight back home. Da Nang airport was as overwhelming as the first time.
- Evening: Back home. Everything felt… sterile. Already craving Pho. Already dreaming of my return.
- Final Emotional Reaction: Heart full. Belly full. Bank account empty. Worth it. Totally worth it.
- Messy Conclusion: Vietnam, you magnificent, beautiful, chaotic mess. I'll be back!

Hoi An's Hidden Gem: Areca Homestay - Your Dream Vacation... Maybe? (FAQ - The Messy Truth!)
Okay, so ARE Areca Homestay’s rooms actually as dreamy as the photos? My Instagram feed is practically demanding an answer!
Alright, let's be real. The photos? Yeah, they got light, flowy curtains, pristine white sheets, the whole shebang. And guess what? For the most part, YES. The rooms *are* pretty darn charming. Picture this: I walked in, slightly jetlagged, and BAM! Instant relaxation. The air conditioning was blowing sweet, sweet relief, AND the mosquito net (thank GOD for mosquito nets, seriously) was draped so artistically I felt like I was in a Vogue shoot. BUT... and there's always a but, isn't there? One morning I woke up to a tiny centipede doing laps across the wall. Totally freaked me out, squashed it, and then spent a good hour questioning my life choices. So, yeah, dreamy... with a side of occasional creepy-crawlies. It's Vietnam, people! Embrace the imperfection! (And maybe bring some bug spray.)
Is the homestay walking distance to the Ancient Town? Because my feet are NOT happy about walking miles in humid weather.
Walking distance? Kinda. Let's say "walking" is a generous term. It’s maybe a 15-20 minute stroll, depending on how fast you walk (I'm a flaneur myself) and if you stop to gawk at every lantern shop (you will, trust me). It *is* doable, but hello, Hoi An humidity! Bring water, and maybe consider renting a bicycle! That's what *I* did! It's not the easiest walk in high heat, but if you're feeling ambitious, or if you want to work off all the Banh Mi you're gonna eat (you *will* eat Banh Mi, mark my words), then go for it. Otherwise, grab a cheap taxi or, even better, a cyclo (rickshaw). It's the ultimate Hoi An experience, even if you feel a little silly at first.
What about the breakfast? I'm a *breakfast* person. Is it worth waking up for it?
OMG, the breakfast! Okay, so here's where things get… *complicated*. One day it was absolutely DIVINE. Fresh fruit, fluffy omelettes, delicious Vietnamese coffee… I was in heaven! The next day? Let's just say the omelette was a little… *rubber-like*. And the coffee? Bitter. I think the cook might have been having a bad day. It’s unpredictable, honestly. Some days you'll be raving, some days you'll be silently judging. The fruit is almost always good, though. So, it’s worth waking up for, but manage your expectations. And maybe, just maybe, peek at the other guests' plates first. Just a suggestion.
How’s the staff? Are they friendly? Can they help with tours and stuff?
The staff? Ah, the staff. They are, by and large, utterly lovely. Sweet as could be. They were always smiling, always helpful, and always trying to make sure you're comfortable. They helped me organise a cooking class (which, by the way, DO IT! It was a highlight of my trip!) and a day trip to My Son Sanctuary. They arranged for a taxi to the airport. They're like little angels. The language barrier can sometimes be tricky (my Vietnamese is non-existent), but they're patient and try their best. There was this one time, though, I asked for a banana at breakfast... and they brought me, I kid you not, a whole bunch of bananas. I'm talking, like, a dozen! I think there might have been a slight misunderstanding. But hey, more bananas for me! I didn't complain.
What’s the vibe like? Is it a party place, or more of a chill-out spot?
Chill-out spot all the way! Thank GOD. I went to Hoi An to *escape*, not to rage. It’s quiet, peaceful, and perfect for relaxing. The pool area is lovely (though sometimes a little crowded), and the garden is a little oasis of calm. There’s a nice little communal area where people gather to chat and drink beer. I met some really cool people there. Perfect if you want to relax after a long day of exploring or browsing the tailor shops. If you’re looking for a party scene, look elsewhere. You’ll find that in the Ancient Town, but Areca is definitely your serene escape from the noise.
Is there a pool? Because, you know, heat.
Yes! Oh, glorious, yes! There is a pool! It's not huge, but it's a lifesaver. Seriously, after a day of wandering around the Ancient Town in the heat, jumping into that pool was the ultimate bliss. The water is clean, and there are plenty of loungers to chillax on. But be warned: it can get a *little* crowded during peak hours. And one day, there were a group of kids splashing around and generally having a blast. I, on the other hand, just wanted peace and quiet. I grumbled a bit, then decided to embrace the chaos. The kids actually ended up being pretty cute. The pool is a definite plus, but be prepared to share!
How's the wi-fi? I *need* my Instagram fix! (And, you know, work...)
Okay, so the Wi-Fi... It's... variable. Sometimes it's blazing fast, you can stream Netflix while you're in the pool, upload photos in seconds, the works. Other times... well, let's just say it's more like dial-up. Expect a bit of buffering. It's not the end of the world, but if you rely on constant connectivity, you might get frustrated. I had a few moments of sheer panic when I couldn't upload my sunset pics! I ended up just wandering around the streets until the wifi gods smiled upon me. Just consider it a digital detox... or, you know, a challenge.
Any downsides? Besides the centipedes and the inconsistent Wi-Fi and the questionable omelettes...
Alright, alright, let's face it: Areca Homestay isn't perfect. You're sleeping in a room that is not fully soundproofed. You'll hear your neighbours, the dogs, the roosters – the whole shebang. It IS part of the experience. Is it annoying? Sometimes. Does it ruin the charm? Slightly. Also, the location, while charming, means you're constantlySearchotel

