
Davao's Hidden Gem: The Velvet Suites & Hotel Luxury Awaits!
Davao's Velvet Embrace: A Raw & Real Review - Prepare to be Spoiled (Or Maybe Not!)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I just got back from a stay at The Velvet Suites & Hotel in Davao, and let me tell you, it's a vibe. They bill themselves as a "Hidden Gem" and… well, let's just say the treasure map might need a little updating. I'm not one for sugarcoating, so expect the real deal. Prepare for some rambling, some gushing, and maybe a few raised eyebrows.
First Impressions - Getting There & Getting In (The "Accessibility" Gauntlet)
Finding The Velvet wasn't too hard. Davao's pretty easy to navigate. I opted for a taxi (they do offer airport transfer, FYI – something to consider after the flight). Now, about accessibility. I’m not in a wheelchair, but I did take a look – and was thinking of my Auntie Mildred. The good news? Elevators! Yay! Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site]? Check! And the hotel says they have Facilities for disabled guests. I peeked, and they look… ok. Not the most modern, but definitely functional. They could use a little pizzazz and some more signage for a better experience, I do hope The Velvet Suites & Hotel Luxury Awaits! fixes this ASAP!
The Room - My Sanctuary (and Minor Gripes)
So, the room. Mine was non-smoking (thank heavens!), and had air conditioning that actually worked! Winning! It had all the usual suspects: a comfy bed, a decent desk for laptop-ing, a refrigerator (essential!), and a coffee/tea maker. Oh, and free Wi-Fi! (More on that later.)
Let's delve a little deeper:
- The Good: The blackout curtains were a lifesaver (good for sleeping in after too many drinks). The bathrobes were fluffy and inviting. The complimentary bottled water was much appreciated. The separate shower/bathtub situation provided my best shower session ever from the whole stay.
- The Not-So-Good: The decor was… tired. A little dated, maybe? And the TV? Looked like it was rescued from the early 2000s. The internet access – LAN was a little too much, given the WIFI.
Tech Talk: Wi-Fi & Internet Woes
Okay, the Wi-Fi [free] is advertised, and technically, it's there. But "free" doesn't always translate to "reliable." I’m a digital nomad myself, and the Wi-Fi in all rooms! promised was a bit spotty. I found myself occasionally yelling at the router. They better fix this ASAP! On the flip side, they have Internet [LAN], but who uses LAN in this day and age? Overall, the internet experience was not the best.
Food, Glorious Food (and Drink!)
Okay, this is where things get interesting. The Velvet has you covered.
Breakfast: They offer Asian breakfast, Western breakfast, and a Breakfast [buffet]. I opted for the buffet and found it… serviceable. Nothing to write home about, but enough to get you going. (Pro Tip: Don't skip the fresh fruit.) They also provide Breakfast takeaway service.
Restaurants & Bars: They have restaurants, a bar, and even a poolside bar. The A la carte in restaurant gives me some flexibility, and sometimes I just want a quick bite at the Snack bar. They also have Coffee/tea in restaurant. I had a pretty delicious desserts in restaurant treat, but found the happy hour drinks a bit… weak.
Dining Options: Room service [24-hour] is a lifesaver for late-night cravings (and hangovers). They also offer Alternative meal arrangement!
Relax & Unwind (Or Try To)
Okay, the spa is definitely a highlight. I indulged in a massage, and it was heavenly. Honestly. Just pure bliss. They also offer Body scrub and Body wrap. There's a sauna, a steamroom, and a Pool with view. I spent a solid hour in the swimming pool [outdoor], staring at the sky. Pure relaxation. They have a Fitness center too (because, balance!). I didn't check it out, because… well, spa.
Cleanliness & Safety – Trying to Keep It Together
Alright, in these crazy times, safety matters. I was relieved to see they're taking precautions. Daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer everywhere, and staff trained in safety protocol. They also have first aid kit at hand in case of emergency. The rooms sanitized between stays, which is a huge plus, and they also offer Room sanitization opt-out available. A bonus! I appreciated the effort.
Services & Conveniences – Making Life Easier
The Velvet offers a decent array of services: Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Currency exchange, Food delivery, Laundry service, and Room service (already mentioned, but hey, it’s important!). They also have daily housekeeping.
However, a few things could use improvement. The dry cleaning service was slow.
For the Kids - Family Fun?
They are Family/child friendly but I personally did not see any kids facilities except the Babysitting service.
Things to Do – Beyond the Hotel Walls
Davao is a fantastic city! The hotel is a decent jumping-off point.
The Verdict – Is The Velvet Worth It?
Look, The Velvet Suites & Hotel isn't perfect. But it has charm. It has potential. For the price, it's a decent deal. The spa is a must, the staff are friendly, and it's in a good location. If you're looking for a luxurious, flawless experience, you might be disappointed. But if you're looking for a comfortable, relatively affordable stay with some hidden gems (the spa, the pool), then give The Velvet a shot.
Final Rating: 3.5 Stars (with a solid recommendation if you're flexible)
My Honest Offer – The Velvet Suites & Hotel: Davao Debauchery Awaits!
Tired of the same old boring hotel chains? Crave some authentic Davao vibes? Ready for some serious relaxation? Then ditch the predictable and embrace the Velvet!
Book your stay at The Velvet Suites & Hotel NOW and enjoy:
- A Discounted Rate: Claim a special price for stays booked within the next month!
- Free upgrade: to a room with a better view (subject to availability - but hey, it's worth a shot!)
- A complimentary massage: (because you deserve it!)
- Free Airport Transfer: To ensure a smooth arrival and departure in Davao.
- Free Wi-Fi! (We're trying to improve that, okay?)
Click here to book your Davao adventure (link to booking website) and experience the "Hidden Gem" for yourself.**
Don't wait! This offer is only valid for a limited time. Your Davao escape awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Le Croisic Holiday Home with Balcony!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're not just visiting Davao City. We're surviving it, experiencing it, and probably leaving a little piece of our souls behind at The Velvet Suites. Here's the (probably disastrous) itinerary, fueled by caffeine, questionable life choices, and the unwavering belief that this time, I'll pack fewer shoes.
Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread (aka, Check-In)
Morning (8:00 AM - 9:00 AM): ARRIVAL! Manila to Davao. Expect delays. Expect the plane to feel like a tin can crammed with slightly grumpy sardines. My first emotion? Relief. Okay, and maybe a whisper of panic about the humidity. Davao is a sauna, folks. Prepare accordingly. (Sunscreen? Check. Deodorant that actually works? Praying.)
(9:00 AM - 10:00 AM): From the airport, it's a taxi dash! Should've booked an airport pickup. Sigh. Negotiate with the driver. Hope he understands "The Velvet Suites," not "The Velveteen Rabbit's Secret Hideaway." My internal monologue is already in overdrive: "Did I pack my passport? Did I leave the oven on? Am I really ready for this much sun?"
(10:00 AM - 11:00 AM): CHECK-IN AT THE VELVET SUITES. Oh, the anticipation! Will my room look like the website? (Probably not. Websites lie. It's a known fact.) My hopes hinge on a decent view. A good view can make you forget all your problems, at least for a few minutes.
- Anecdote: Last time I stayed in a "luxury" hotel, the "view" was a brick wall. True story. I spent the entire trip plotting revenge on whoever took that photo for the website.
(11:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Room Reconnaissance. Is the bed comfy? (Essential.) Does the air conditioner work? (Also essential, unless you enjoy melting.) Is the shampoo travel-sized? (Rant incoming if it is. My hair needs volume!)
(12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): Lunch Rush! Okay, I am famished. Time to hit the ground running.
Day 2: Samal Island - Bliss or Chaos?
Morning (7:00 AM - 8:00 AM): Wake up, struggle to find the switch for the lights, and curse myself for that late-night bag of chips.
(8:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Breakfast at the Velvet Suites. Judging by the hotel's reviews, the breakfast could be amazing or utterly forgettable. My expectations hover somewhere in the middle.
(9:00 AM - 10:00 AM): Ferry to Samal Island. Crossing the water is always a good mood.
- Anecdote: My first time on a ferry in the Philippines was hilarious. I'd envisioned a sleek, modern cruise. Nope. It was a colourful, slightly rickety boat packed with people, chickens, and a guy selling mangoes. Pure magic.
(10:00 AM - 12:00 PM): BEACH TIME! Snorkelling or swimming. Should. Try. To. Relax.
(12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): Lunch at a beachside eatery. Hopefully, they've got fresh seafood. Praying to the seafood gods. My stomach is already rumbling.
- Quirky Observation: Filipinos have a knack for making even the simplest food taste amazing. Maybe it's the love they put into it?
(1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): More beach, sun, dozing, and maybe a gentle existential crisis. (Aren't tropical beaches perfect for pondering the meaning of life?).
- Emotional Reaction: Bliss. Pure, unadulterated bliss. This is what I came for.
(4:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Travel time to get back to the hotel.
Day 3: City Exploration - The Davao Dilemma
Morning (8:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Coffee, hopefully strong and able to withstand the heat. Plan the day's activities. The plan? To have absolutely no plan. And then get completely lost. It’s the only way to truly experience a city.
(9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Davao City Tour. This is where things could get interesting. I've heard mixed reviews about the city. I'm going to embrace the chaos.
(12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): Lunch. More research needed!
- Opinionated Language: I hate tourist traps. I want authentic, delicious food. I want to eat where the locals eat.
(1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Davao City Exploration!
- Anecdote: I remember once, in some random city, I stumbled upon a local market. Best experience ever. I want that again.
(4:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Sunset viewing. Find a rooftop bar, a scenic viewpoint, or a quiet spot by the water. Time to reflect on the day's adventures and try not to accidentally spend all my money.
Day 4: Culture, Calm, and Goodbye (or Not!)
Morning (8:00 AM - 9:00 AM): Breakfast, the final one at the Velvet Suites.
(9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Time to indulge in what I didn't do before. Cultural immersion, shopping, art galleries, etc.
(12:00 PM - 1:00 PM): Last Lunch. A farewell feast! Will I be brave enough to try the durian? (Maybe not. The smell…)
(1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Last-minute souvenir shopping. Finding the perfect gifts for the people I love is a huge personal goal. Or a last-minute panic purchase. (Guilty.)
(3:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Check-out and farewell.
- Emotional Reaction: Bittersweet. Part of me is ready to go, and part of me wants to stay forever.
(4:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Head back to the airport.
This isn't just an itinerary, it's a promise. A promise of adventure, of exhaustion, of questionable food choices, and maybe, just maybe, a little bit of self-discovery. Wish me luck. I'll need it.
Escape to Paradise: Your Dreamy Lathum Lake Holiday Home Awaits!
The Velvet Suites & Hotel: So, You Wanna Know About This Davao Dream? (Or Nightmare, Depending...)
Okay, Spill the Beans! Is The Velvet Suites REALLY a Luxury Experience?
Alright, alright! Luxury, huh? Let's just say... it *tries*. The lobby? Gorgeous. Think plush velvet, shimmering chandeliers, the whole shebang. I walked in, and my jaw nearly dropped. For like, five seconds. Then I saw the, uh, *interesting* art choices on the walls. Like, questionable. One painting looked like a toddler had a paint fight with a canvas, and another… well, let's just say it involved a lot of purple and a questionable interpretation of a fruit basket. So, luxury? High aspirations, shall we say. It's got the potential, but it's like that friend who *thinks* they're effortlessly cool but secretly tries way too hard. I’d say it's *aspirational* luxury. And sometimes, that's just what you need!
What are the Rooms REALLY Like? I've seen the photos…
Listen, those photos? They're carefully curated. Think Instagram vs. Reality. My room? It was *nice*. Spacious. The bed? Comfortable. But… the detail is where it cracks. The remote had a sticky button (I swear, it was a biological hazard!), the coffee machine looked like it hadn’t been cleaned since the Spanish arrived, and the view... well, let's be charitable and call it "urban." I had a view of a rather noisy air conditioning unit, which wasn't exactly the tropical paradise I was hoping for. And the aircon itself sounded like a dying walrus. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. I actually considered leaving a complaint. But then I thought, "Nah, it'll be a story later." So yeah, rooms are generally good, though a bit...dated. Ask for a quiet one, whatever you do!
Is the Food Any Good? Specifically, that Restaurant I saw online...
Now, the restaurant… that's a mixed bag. I had breakfast there. The buffet. Oh, the buffet. It’s not *bad*, per se. But it's… generic. The usual suspects: eggs (scrambled, overcooked), bacon (limp but edible), some vaguely appealing pastries and... the champion of the buffet: the *arroz caldo*. That, my friends, was actually pretty good. Savory, comforting... a true local treat. But the coffee? Thin. Weak. I needed three cups to even feel vaguely human. Dinner? I tried it out of curiosity, but it wasn't memorable, just *there*. The presentation was pretty, the food was...fine. Which means I've had better, and I've had worse.
Okay, Let’s Talk Value. Is it Worth the Price?
This is the million-dollar question, isn't it? Listen, it's not cheap. It’s priced like it’s a five-star experience, but… it’s not *quite* that. But then again, Davao ain't exactly overflowing with luxury hotels. So, you're kinda paying a premium for the… well, for most of the luxury stuff, *kinda*. For me, it would depend on what you're going for. If you're looking for *absolute* perfection, with flawless service and every tiny detail considered, then maybe shell out the extra pesos and try somewhere else. But if you're okay with a little bit of imperfection, a bit of quirky charm (and a hilariously loud air conditioner), and really do want to feel pampered – and you're not on a super tight budget – then yeah, it's worth considering. Just temper your expectations a *little*.
What’s the Deal with the Pool? I Need My Pool Time!
Ah, the pool! This is a major win, actually. It's not *huge*, but it's beautiful! Really inviting. I spent a lovely afternoon by it, sipping on a ridiculously overpriced (but delicious) cocktail, and just... soaking up the sun. The water was crystal clear, and there were enough loungers to go around (no fighting over them, thankfully!). It's a true oasis, and a great place to unwind after a long day of exploring Davao. And the view from the pool? Pretty fantastic too. Lots of comfy places to sit. The only thing I would change? Make the cocktail menu even longer!
The Service! Is It Good? I demand to be treated like royalty.
This is where things get… interesting. The staff are, generally, lovely. Super friendly, eager to please. But their enthusiasm is sometimes a little… overzealous. I needed some laundry done. It took *forever*. Like, multiple phone calls. Then they lost one of my socks. One! I mean, come on! My favorite sock, too! (Okay, I'm kidding, they were just socks, but still!). Other than that, they were helpful. But the service can be a little slow at times. And maybe a bit disorganized. It's got that "everyone's trying really hard" vibe. They clearly want to treat you like royalty. Just… they're still learning the ropes, bless their hearts.
Anything Else Worth Mentioning? Any Hidden Gems or Annoying Quirks?
Oh, plenty! Let’s see…
- The gym: Small, but functional. Perfect for burning off all that buffet food. (Seriously, I needed it)
- The spa: Didn't try it. Heard mixed reviews. Worth investigating if you're into that.
- Location: Pretty good. Close to a lot of things. Easy to get around.
- The elevator music: I swear they played the same three songs on repeat for my entire stay. I know "Hotel California" better than my own name now.
- The parking: Kinda cramped, but it's there. (I nearly scraped my bumper. Close call!)
Search Hotel Guide

